Thursday, August 14, 2014

Top 7 Games that defined my Childhood PART 1

1. Super Mario World (1995)

super mario world

The story takes place right after Super Mario Bros 3 and the trio Mario, Luigi and Peach look to take a hard earned vacation at Dinosaur Island. Princess Peach, being her and all, gets kidnapped again by Bowser and his Koppas. The adventure starts off when they meet this Dinosaur named Yoshi. It so happens that Bowser has also captured his friends and he asks for help. Seeing the benefits of their situation, Mario and Luigi agree to help Yoshi out and free his friends around the island.

I have found memories with this game. You have no idea! It is probably the best Mario game that Nintendo has ever made. Why? Well duh? It has Yoshi! and many different species of him. From fire breathing Yoshis to flying Yoshis to even Yoshis that could make shockwave once they hit the ground. Completing this game was probably the proudest moment of my 7-8 year old self.

2. Pokemon Red (1998)

pokemon red

The story starts as Professor Oak, a Pokemon Researcher, offers to give you a Pokemon due to how dangerous it is in the wild. You are offered either to pick Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur. Upon choosing one you are pulled into the world of Pokemon catching, battling and raising. Your main goal is to challenge and beat all the GYMs in Kanto for gym badges. If you complete them you can challenge the Elite Four and claim your place as a Pokemon Champion.

This game started it all.All the Pokemon games, cards and merchandise is all because of this pocket monster phenomenon right here. I remember always choosing charmander as my lead pokemon, due to how my favorite pokemon back then was Charizard. I traded, battled and cheated(Rare Candy glitch lol) with friends and it was awesome! If you happened to have that gameboy cable, you were an automatic COOL KID on the playgrounds!

3. Counter-Strike (1999)

counterstrike

The game is basically a MOD of Half Life where you choose from two teams to play for. Counter-Terrorists and Terrorists. The main goal is either to eliminate the opposition, blow up a bomb site or rescue hostages during each round for a round point. You can purchase different guns using your personal economy which increases on how well you did the previous round. You have a good selection from hand guns, shot guns, machine guns and rifles.

This is pretty much the game that started all computer shops craze in the Philippines. It was easy to join a LAN game which was the most appealing quality. The atmosphere was intense as everyone had speakers(comp shops didn't have headsets back then) on and would spray their guns until the round was won! I was addicted to this game. I remember going home at 10pm on a school day just to get a counter-strike session in. De Dust, De Dust2 and Deathmatch were my favorite maps.

--

Part II

Have you played any of these? What game defined your childhood? I want to hear your stories. Leave a comment below! 

2 comments:

  1. I also love Super Mario World! But I didn't get to finish it. I also played Counter-strike, but not so much since I didn't have enough money to play in computer shops back then.

    What I did play was Super Mario RPG, Smash Bros, Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Heroes, Megaman X4, and when we finally had a desktop at home, I got addicted to an MMORPG called Angels Online. (the pc couldn't run RO before; it was kinda graphic-intensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! the marvel vs capcom game! I always used spiderman and his maximum spider super. Other favorites were strider hiryu and wolverine.

      I never heard about angels online when was that released?

      Delete